The Galilee Foundation for Value Education - Shorashim has engaged in informal education to promote intergroup understanding and build the Galilee as a model of civil society since 1992. From a vision of Zionism that integrates rootedness in the Land of Israel and Jewish unity with the values of equality, freedom of conscience, and religious and ethnic pluralism, we work to bring together in dialogue and trust those who would otherwsie not meet, whether Jews and Arabs or Jews from different backgrounds and traditions. In our work we grapple with what it means for Israel to be both a Jewish and a democratic state, and the consequences that brings.
We see a common thread in our activities bringing together Arabs and Jews, promoting a pluralistic Jewish unity and Israel-Diaspora understanding: only by bridging all these gaps will we bring about our vision of Israel as a shared, pluralistic and safe society where there is mutual trust and a meaningful and real dialogue between groups who accept each other respectfully.
You can find out more on our About us page, and details of our current programs below, or under Our programs.
We achieve our Vision of Israel as a shared, pluralistic and safe society for all of its citizens through a number of innovative programs:
- Galilee Circus - our social circus bringing together Arab and Jewish children and youth to build trust and have fun together
- Young Leaders - developing leadership and self-respect amongst Arab and Jewish youth for the next generation
- Neighbors - bringing Arab and Jewish students together for regular, ongoing group encounters to develop trust, tolerance and friendship, and acknowledgement of each other's narratives
- Cultural Center - lectures, batei midrash, and holiday workshops on Jewish themes bringing together people from all backgrounds to a shared pluralistic understanding
- Educational Tourism - tours and seminars in the Galilee, visiting interesting people, sites and stories to bring some clarify to the complexity of the issues today, as they have developed in the context of history
None of these activities can be continued without the generous financial support of our friends!
- To donate (US dollars) click here.
- To donate in non-US dollar currencies click here.
- For other ways of doinating or supporting our work see our Support Us page.
Galilee Foundation for Value Education
D.N. Misgav 2016400
Like our page on facebook!